Schlotterbeck & Foss is one of New England's oldest manufacturers of premium condiments, chef sauces, dressings, salsas and ice-cream-topping ingredients. The company has grown steadily in recent years and is positioned to grow more significantly as it continues to rapidly expand its private label partnerships with key grocery retailers across the country. Our fine specialty foods are produced in state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Westbrook, Maine and Chester, Vermont.
The Food Scientist reports to the Research & Development Director and assists with new product development, sensory testing, product improvement and quality control. The position will produce bench top samples, support documentation and perform sensory/analytical tests. Supporting Quality Assurance, the position will perform sensory evaluation, product testing, trouble shooting, and audit preparation.
Responsibilities and Primary Duties:
- Produce benchtop samples, conduct sensory analytical tests and identify product improvements
- Formulate new products and improvements on existing products
- Develop manufacturing process specifications containing formula, bill of materials, instructions and quality requirements.
- Participate in commercialization activities for new products including new ingredient and supplier evaluation, scale up and first production runs.
- Establish technical specifications detailing ingredients, nutrition information and quality parameters.
- Support regulatory and audit requirements, including GMP, HACCP and GFSI processes.
- Support research projects and new product initiatives, including product and process improvements, manufacturing commercialization and resolving product quality problems.
- Perform Quality Assurance testing to ensure the safety and quality of food samples, including in-process and equilibrium testing. Record and analyze results.
- Support quality initiatives including development of procedures to assure product quality, audit compliance of process parameters, and maintenance of ingredient register.
- ·Perform administrative duties, including maintaining process and technical specifications, entering and analyzing data, preparing sample shipments and maintaining equipment and a clean work environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned, while following company, safety, quality policies and procedures.
- Occasional travel to Westbrook, ME for cross-training and to support staff at Westbrook, ME facility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or a related field
- 2 - 5 years’ product development experience in Salad Dressing, other liquid sauces and emulsions is preferred.
- 3 - 7 years’ experience working in food industry, culinary experience a plus.
- Knowledge of quality assurance systems and sanitation.
- Ability to comprehend complex technical articles, research papers, or presentations, and apply technical knowledge learned from such sources.
- Demonstrate strong analytical, problem solving, organizational and communication
- Self-directed, detail oriented, capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
Competitive pay and benefit package including paid time off, full medical, dental, and vision insurance. 401(k) plan with employer match and discount on S&F products!
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS PLEASE
Schlotterbeck & Foss is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.