Communications Manager will create, implement and oversee communications and public relations programs that drive greater awareness, understanding and engagement with BIW’s mission, values, strategy and culture across a range of internal and external audiences and channels. Top candidates will be skilled at creating content that engages employees and keeps stakeholders informed about business operations. This position requires a personality and skill set capable of shifting gears at a moment’s notice, building and managing high-value relationships, taking ownership of projects, working on multiple endeavors simultaneously and the ability to think critically and creatively.
• Work with BIW Senior Leadership, Operations, Strategic Planning, Program Management, functional organizations and project teams to communicate and execute BIW's Strategic Plan: formulate creative/business communication strategies, plans, messages, and speeches and oversee implementation.
• Produce a wide range of communications content including but not limited to press releases, bulletins and employee service announcements, presentations, web copy, social media messaging, blog posts, newsletters and talking points.
• Manage media inquiries, interview requests and crisis management.
• Oversee the creation and execution of effective digital campaigns utilizing email, social media, and digital marketing and web properties.
• Stay abreast of digital media trends and social media tools to continuously identify new opportunities and refine existing strategies.
• Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends and make appropriate recommendations to support company strategies.
• Work with GD Communications personnel, BIW IT and DXC personnel as necessary to ensure BIW Internet web pages display current and accurate information in accordance with GD Communications policy/guidance.
• Remain current on issues relating to BIW internal activities, other GD business units, and the customer communities.
• Develop and maintain positive community relations.
• Provide functional expertise essential to support executive staff, department directors and managers.
• Manage the planning and execution of all aspects of high-level BIW events, including Christenings, start of fabs, keel-layings, sail-aways, service recognition, trade shows and more, including work with senior BIW management, applicable BIW departments, local and Washington, D.C. Navy representatives and other groups to ensure high quality, cost effective events.
• Manage departmental operating budget
• Bachelor's degree in Communication/Marketing/Journalism/English or related business discipline required.
• Minimum 8+ years of related communications, marketing, journalism or public relations experience required.
• Experience in developing and leading proactive multimedia communication campaigns with direct experience working with the media preferred.
• 5 years relevant defense industry experience preferred
• Ability to respond to rapidly changing conditions with agility and imagination, capitalizing on emerging communication opportunities.
• Familiarity with digital platforms and a commitment to learning and adapting to new and emerging tech/platforms.
• Demonstrated high level communications skills, including speaking, editing, writing and presentation preparation are required.
• Demonstrated critical thinking skills and an understanding of effective communications.
• Demonstrated decision making and ability to successfully lead diverse groups through all phases of multi-faceted projects is required.
• Strong research skills and attention to detail required.
• Strong project management skills including prioritization of multiple tasks and deliverables.
• Ability to work independently and within a dynamic team environment.
• Advanced Word and PowerPoint skills required, desktop publishing and photo and video editing skills desirable.