Schlotterbeck & Foss is one of New England's oldest manufacturers of premium condiments, chef sauces, dressings, salsas and ice-cream-topping ingredients. The company has grown steadily in recent years and is positioned to grow more significantly as it continues to rapidly expand its private label partnerships with key grocery retailers across the country.
The Director of Quality Assurance and Food Safety provides company-wide leadership and direction for all Quality Assurance and Food Safety functions at our manufacturing facilities in Westbrook, Maine and Chester, Vermont. Responsible for quality systems, programs and standards, providing consistent product quality in compliance with Schlotterbeck & Foss, customer, FDA, USDA, and other Federal/State requirements and regulations. Develops and implements policies and programs related to food safety, including production sanitation, product risk management, accurate recordkeeping, and success in government and customer audits. Fosters a Quality culture within the organization.
- Manage Quality Assurance to ensure products comply with specifications and continuously improve quality. Oversee quality audit, testing, reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Manage Food Quality and Food Safety Programs, HACCP and FDA regulatory compliance including GMPs and 3rd party audit requirements (GFSI).
- Direct and monitor compliance with FSMA rules and regulations at all facilities, including supplier approval program and Foreign Supplier Verification Program.
- Interface with all regulatory agencies and appropriate trade associations to assure compliance with food laws and regulations.
- Set policy on microbiology requirements, specifications and testing to help assure safe products for all customers and consumers.
- Oversight of quality grading of all products to assure specifications are met within the desired levels of productivity, safety and quality desired by Schlotterbeck & Foss and customers.
- Oversite and supervision of Sanitation group.
- Develop, issue and review corporate quality and food safety policies, procedures, and specifications.
- Work directly with all sales managers to provide a high level of support and customer service.
- Maintain customer complaint program, including prompt investigations and responses.
- Maintain nutrition database and customer label approval program.
- Work closely with R&D, Sales, Production, Purchasing, Transportation, Customer Service and customers to advise and resolve any issues as needed.
- On behalf of Schlotterbeck & Foss participate in appropriate associations to maintain knowledge required to stay abreast of regulatory compliance and industry trends.
- Responsible for working in a safe and healthy manner, and to take reasonable care of the health and safety of all other staff. Perform daily stretching and/or proper ergonomics of workstation. Managers have a specific responsibility for the health and safety of their direct reports and other team members for which they have management responsibility.
- The Physical Requirements and Work Conditions as outlined in this job description are essential functions of the job.
- Travel is required to the Vermont facility 1-2 days per week.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Chemistry, Microbiology or equivalent Scientific Discipline.
- Masters of Science, Ph.D. of Science or M.B.A preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in Quality Management experience in food industry, combined with a demonstrated track record of accomplishments in quality, food safety and sanitation.
- Continuous Improvement expertise, such as TPM, Six Sigma, or similar is preferred
- Experience with FSMA and current food related regulations. PCQI certificate.
- Experience with GFSI, regulatory, and customer audits. SQF experience preferred.
- Demonstrable leadership, communications, negotiating, and basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Word, Excel and Internet).
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team environment
Competitive pay and benefit package including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision insurance. 401(k) plan with employer match and discount on S&F products!
No Phone Calls or Recruiters
Schlotterbeck & Foss is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.